Back to School: Chalkboard Project Adaptation

Monday, August 12, 2013


I've been having one of those need to be crafty weeks. After a few hours of Pinterest and blog surfing, I had a list of to-do's and new ideas.  I love simple and quick projects that I can finish in a day or two. So... I set out working on a cute new tote bag, back to school chalkboard, and a fall wreath project.  I love all of the vibrant colors and ways to make them with my own style. Today I'm going to share the chalkboard project and the others will come very soon.




It's that time of year again... the kid's are going back to school.  I'm so not ready for my babies to be gone during the day... I've had some great summer fun hanging out with them.  I just hope that the kids have had a great time too :)

The elementary back to school night is later this week... and so goes the question- should I do a cute gift for the teacher?? Usually I would wait till a few weeks after school starts, but since we are being induced with #3 on the first day of school (holy geez... just a little stressful, right??), I'm thinking that we should jump on this issue instead of trying to spray paint, stain, and gorilla glue with a newborn in my arms :)  My son has outgrown doing teacher gifts (7th grade is too cool for those silly things now), but my 3rd grader still loves to surprise her teachers... it could be a girl thing too.

I came across a cute ruler chalkboard project from Or So She Says and knew it was the exact back to school gift for us!!

Here we go with some diy chalkboard fun ...


This chalkboard project is super frugal and quick to make.  I bought all of my supplies at Lowes and used some extra items that I had around the house.

Supplies I used: 
3 Yardsticks
Thin piece of wood, approx. 16x24
Sandpaper
Chalkboard Paint
Stain
Paint Brush
Gorilla Wood Glue
E-6000 Craft Glue
Clamps 
Embellishments 

1. Cut your main piece of wood (if needed) and yard sticks to make a frame around the chalkboard.  I cut my main board to 24x16 inches and cut my yard sticks so that they butted up to each other instead of making angles to form a more traditional frame look. I used my black and decker electric orbital jigsaw. It is small and easy to use, but you may have a big fancy saw to use instead. Just make sure that you wear eye protection and keep your fingers and other body parts away from the saw.
2. I took each yard stick piece and lightly sanded the words to make them less of a marketing product for Lowe's and a little more distressed.  Make sure that you take a paper towel and wipe off the blue paint that will sand off and wood dust that is left from sanding before you stain.

3. Lightly brush on stain and wipe off any excess with a paper towel.  You only need to stain the top and the sides.  You could do multiple coats if you like. I also stained the backside of the chalkboard, but this isn't necessary.

4. Now it's time to paint the chalkboard.  I used chalkboard spray paint. This is how you should look when spray painting. I don't typically wear a mask when not pregnant... but it is a good idea to not breath in the fumes at any point.


For the chalkboard paint, you really need to do two coats... light coats and it's quick and easy.  I let it dry for about 6 hours between coats and then the next day I rubbed the chalk all over the board to get it ready for use. Then I wiped it off with a wet white dishtowel and it looked amazing!


5. Now it's time for assembly. Lay your chalkboard on a flat surface with some sort of protectant for the table if you need to. Place your yardsticks where they go and make sure everything lines up perfectly. Mine wasn't perfect on one corner, but that just gives it some character :)

(I didn't end up using the staple gun... but that's the glue that I used)

Have some paper towels ready and clamps. Get out your Gorilla Glue or preferred wood glue brand. Put a small line of wood glue on the back of each yardstick and put it into place. Gently place the clamps onto the sticks and leave it to dry for an hour or so. Some glue will take longer to dry. You will also need to let the glue cure overnight. 


6. Now for the embellishments. I chose to add a flower from my stash to the bottom corner. I used my amazingly strong and quick drying E-6000 craft glue. I also clamped down my flower to help it to stay tightly connected while it dried.


I added a washi tape covered clothespin to the top right corner. This will be great for attaching little notes or encouraging prints or pictures. 


I added in a piece of paper from my project life kit, a letter and photo of mine to finish it off.  I didn't want to add in too much, since I don't know the teacher well enough to know what she really likes or doesn't like. I love how it turned out, so cute!!  


7. The final step is to add a hangar on the back of the chalkboard. You could also add a ribbon for hanging if you want. I chose to add a sawtooth hangar on the back for mine.

I hope that you like this project as much as I did. You could make one for many occasions... like a countdown for Christmas or to hang at the kid's homework area. You could also use a different framing item... the possibilities are endless.  Please visit Or So She Says to see the original project and other chalkboard ideas that she featured from fabulous bloggers. 

Have a wonderful week! More projects to come... soon!

45 comments:

  1. This is *SO* super cute! I absolutely love it! I'm totally going to pin this and try to figure out where to source the materials so that I can make one myself!

    Visiting you from the Think Pink linkup :)

    Cheers,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, thank you so much for your sweet comments. You can use any spare type of wood that you have around. This is a great project to repurpose items. Have fun with your chalkboard :)

      Delete
  2. It turned out great! I'd love if you'd link up to The DIY'ers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-diyers-and-weekend.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable and I LOVE that you attached the washi tape clothespin :)
    ~Katie @ Upcycled Treasures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie. I've started putting washi tape on EVERYTHING!!! I have a journal that I keep and it has photos and quotes stuck everywhere with washi tape. Love Love it!

      Delete
  4. LOVE this. Tweeting it now! Thanks for linking up to Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is SUPER cool! I totally want to make my own! I'm semi obsessed with clothes pins too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ursula!! Clothes pins are great for any craft :)

      Delete
  6. Super cute...love the added embellishments :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it Michelle! What a genius idea! May have to borrow:). You are being featured on Saturday morning at The Inspiration Gallery!
    Have a nice night,
    Jen-City Farmhouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jennifer!! Borrow away and thank you so much for the feature :) Such an honor.

      Delete
  8. How cute and creative! I'd love for you to link this up at SEW licous Home Decor party! I do FB and newsletter features! http://sewlicioushomedecor.com/saturday-show-licious-craft-showcase-44/

    Marti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marti! Have a wonderful weekend and I'll head over to link up :)

      Delete
  9. What a great idea!! I love the color of the rulers, they look great framing that chalkboard!! Stopping by from love of family and home blog hop. Hope you will stop by www.prairiegirl4-thatcountryplace.blogspot.com Have a great creative kinda day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dawna! It was a very fun project. :)

      Delete
  10. Great chalkboard project....I love the clip that you put on the side to hold things. What a great idea!!! Decorative and functional!
    Jamie | andersonandgrant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jamie! I'm hoping that her teacher will use it to put up some cute and sweet sayings.

      Delete
  11. This looks like something Pottery Barn would sell! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!! What a sweet comment! Thank you so much Kathy.

      Delete
  12. That is the cutest chalkboard beyond measure(pun intended:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michelle, this is SO cute and so different!! I love the border of rulers! Such a fun idea!

    I’d love it if you linked this up over at Living Well Spending Less for Thrifty Thursday this week! http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/category/thrifty-thursday/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth. It was fun and very cost effective... which makes everyone happy :)

      Delete
  14. http://missourimel.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this Michelle. I've been thinking of making one for my kitchen and this tutorial is just what I need. The ruler sticks are cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zainab. I need to make one for our house now. We gave this one to her teacher :)

      Delete
  16. So cool! I love the yard stick edges! You've been featured at Time to Sparkle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tonia. Sorry it took me a few weeks to respond :)

      Delete
  17. I love the vintage look of your chalkboard, and the flower tops it off perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice. I was wondering what font you used for the word "chalkboard" in the first image. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) The font used is Cursif. You can get it on dafont.com

      Delete
  19. Hi Michelle,

    I just bought a chalk board for my back-to-school scribbles and wanted to jazz it up somehow. I love the idea of using yard sticks! Splendid.

    - Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erin. I hope that your project goes great!

      Delete
  20. This chalkboard is SO cute! I love the add details with the embellishments. You did a fantastic job! Would love for you to share at the Blog Hop going on now.
    http://www.thecasualcraftlete.com/2013/08/25/frugal-crafty-home-blog-hop-38/

    Katie @ thecasualcraftlete.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie! Sorry that I am just responding. The new little one has slowed me down a little the past two weeks, but getting back on track.. if I can pull myself away from cuddling.

      Delete
  21. Absolutely Adorable. I LOVE the yardsticks around the chalkboard. I've been needing a frame idea for a chalkboard calendar I'm making. Thanks so much for sharing! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brooke. I hope your project turned out awesome!

      Delete
    2. I love your chalkboard, the yardsticks are the perfect final touch! We would love to have you share this at our Saturday Link Party. Each link will be shown on two blogs, Made From Pinterest and Bakerette! It starts Fridays at 3pm, hope we see you there!

      Please remember to put a link back to Made From Pinterest at the bottom of your post(s).


      Delete
    3. Thank you so much! How funny I was just at Bakerette this afternoon making some pumpkin bars!

      Delete

I love to receive comments from my readers! I promise to answer as quickly as possible. Thank you for stopping by.

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger